President is the head of state and Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces. All the executive power of Union is vested in the hand of president. He is also the first citizen of India. Till now 16 persons have served at this constitutional post. Many of whom as work as Acting president(for temporary purpose). President of India List since 26th January, 1950.
- Dr Rajendra Prasad (January 26, 1950 to May 13, 1962)
- Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (May 13, 1962 to May 13, 1967)
- Dr. Zakir Hussain (May 13, 1967 to May 03, 1969)
- Varahagiri Venkatagiri (Acting) (May 03, 1969 to July 20, 1969)
- Justice Mohammad Hidyatullah(Acting) (July 20, 1969 to August 24, 1969)
- Varahagiri Venkatagiri (August 24, 1969 to August 24, 1974)
- Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed (August 24, 1974 to February 11, 1977)
- B.D.Jatti(Acting) (February 11, 1977 to July 25, 1977)
- Neelam Sanjiva Reddy (July 25, 1977 to July 25, 1982)
- Giani Zail Singh (July 25, 1982 to July 25, 1987)
- R. Venkataraman (July 25, 1987 to July 25, 1992)
- Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma (July 25, 1992 to July 25, 1997)
- K.R.Narayanan (July 25, 1997 to July 25, 2002)
- Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam (July 25, 2002 to July 25, 2007)
- Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil (July 25, 2007 to July 25, 2012)
- Shri Pranab Mukherjee (July 25, 2012 to July 25, 2017)
- Shri Ram Nath Kovind (July 25, 2017 to Incumbent)
Out of these 16 persons who served on this post 3 has served as Acting President. In the constitution of India there is provision that is the office of president became vacant due to death, resignation or other, then Vice- President of India will act as President. If the office of Vice-President is also vacant then Chief Justice of India will discharge the function of President.
If office of Chief Justice of India is also vacant then Senior most judge of Supreme Court will work as Acting President.
Current President of India
Shri Ram Nath Kovind is the current president of India. He became the 14th in President of India List. He has entered the office of president on July 25, 2017. His normal term of office will expire on July 25, 2022. As in India normal term of president for five years.
He was the presidential candidate from BJP side. He defeated the Meira Kumar(UPA candidate) in the presidential election in 2017. He secured more than 65% of votes in the presidential election.
Electoral College for Presidential Election
The president of India is indirectly elected by an Electoral College consisting of elected members of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and State Legislative Assembly.
Nominated members of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha,State Legislative Assembly and Members of Legislative Council of a state are not allowed to participate in the presidential election.
Election Commission of India is authorised with the duty to conduct election for the office of president. Any doubt and dispute arising out of presidential election will be dealt by Supreme Court of India only.