Jawahar Lal Nehru became the first Prime Minister of India. He served at this since the formation of the Interim Government in September 1946. Since then He served at this post till May 1964.
Through the Cabinet Mission Plan, A Constituent Assembly was formed to draft the constitution of Independent India. An interim government was also formed from the newly elected Constituent Assembly to look into the administration of India during the transitional period. Jawahar Lal Nehru became the Prime Minister in the Interim government.
At the time of Independent Jawahar Lal Nehru (he was the leader of Indian National Congress)was the Prime Minister and he continued at this post till first general election.
When the first general election was held in 1951-52, then also he gains the majority in Lok Sabha and sworn in as the Prime Minister of India in the Republic of India.
He consecutively won the General Election in 1957 and 1962 and continued as this post till his death on 27th May 1964. Till now he the longest-serving Prime Minister of India.
Jawahar Lal Nehru was born on 14th November in 1889 in Allahabad( present-day Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh).
He died in May 1964.
Jawahar Lal Nehru is known for his great contribution to the development of India. He control the leadership of India when the country was going through the phase of partition. The idea of planning to develop the economy of India through a panned manner was his brainchild. So he the Planning Commission of India into existence.
Mahalnovish Model to set up Heavy Industries in India was implemented during his period in the second Five Year plan(1956-61).
He was the advocate of Non-Alignment during the Cold War period. He was more inclined toward Socialism. An implemented the socialist form of economy in India. He made India a close ally of the USSR.
During his tenure India- China war took place in the year 1962.
Jawhar Lal was the son of Moti Lal Nehru and became the president of the Indian National Congress for the first time in 1929. He was the person who advocated for the Poorna Swaraj for India in 1929(Lahore Session of Indian National Congress).
List of Prime Ministers of India
- Jawaharlal Nehru (INC): 15 April 1952 to 27 May 1964
- Guljarilal Nanda(INC)(Acting): 27 May 1964 to 9 June 1964
- Lal Bahadur Shastri (INC): 9 June 1964 to 11 January 1966
- Guljarilal Nanda(INC)(Acting): 11 January 1966 to 24 January 1966
- Indra Gandhi (INC): 24 January 1966 to 24 March 1977
- Morarji Desai (Janta Party): 24 March 1977 to 28 July 1979
- Charan Singh (Janta Party Secular): 28 July 1979 to 14 January 1980
- Indra Gandhi (INc): 14 January 1980 to 31 October 1984.
- Rajiv Gandhi(INC): 31 October 1984 to 2 December 1989
- Vishwanath Pratap Singh(Janta Dal): 2 Dec 1989 to 10 Nov 1990
- Chandra Shekhar(Samajwadi Janta Party): 10 Nov 1990 to 21 June 1991
- P.V. Narshimha Rao(INC): 21 June 1991 to 16 May 1996
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee(BJP): 16 May 1996 to 1 June 1996
- H.D. Deve Gowda(Janta Dal): 1 June 1996 to 21 April 1997
- Inder Kumar Gujral (Janta Dal): 21 April 1997 to 19 March 1998
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee (NDA): 11 March 1998 to 22 May 2004.
- Manmohan Singh (UPA): 22 May 2004 to 26 May 2014
- Narendra Modi (NDA): 26 May 2014 to Incumbent
INC- Indian National Congress
BJP – Bhartiya Janta Party
NDA – National Democratic Alliance
UPA- United Progressive Alliance
The name of the first PM of India is Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru. He remains in office till May 1964.
Smt Indira Gandhi became the first women PM of India in year 1967.
Pt Jawahar Lal Nehru became the first PM of India after independent.
The PM of India is appointed by the President of India to the person who controls the majority in Lok Sabha.
A person can hold the office the PM of India as long as he controls the majority in the Lok Sabha.
Shri Narendra Modi is the current PM of India. He is in his office since May 2014.